My initial logo was created using letterpress techniques to try to create something quite authentic looking and with a connection to the historical interest within this project. I took the arrow shape from one which I found on signage in an old air raid shelter and processed the whole piece through examples of wall and floor textures collected from abandoned buildings in Manchester. I wanted to use the city to create a logo for itself and also to represent those details, fragments and remnants.
I then began to look at bringing this logo back into the physicality of the place it came from and the logical step for me was to collect items from around Manchester and to use those as a substrate for this logo. I wanted them to begin to create a further narrative and context for the logo.
I came across some old bathroom tiles and initially I was unsure whether they would work for this project but decided to give them a go. One of the things that I liked about the resulting experiment was the idea of transforming the everyday and mundane into something else, creating a strange paradox of an object in which is becomes intriguing and interesting.
Another thing I started to look further into was the idea of fragment of information and details we find left over in the city and how these begin to come together to form a narrative of our own making. I wanted to see how that could be played with in relation to this logo and these found objects.
I decided to print onto another tile and this time break it up. I found that the resulting pieces again became strange objects in their own right which could almost be fragments of old pottery dug up on the site of an old factory, and it's that possibility or interpretive quality to them I felt was the real success to these experiment.